Students are expected to know the following:
- quantum mechanical model and electron configuration
- valence electrons and Lewis structures
- chemical bonding based on electronegativity
- draw conclusions about the similarities and trends in the properties of elements, with reference to the periodic table
- Demonstrate knowledge of Various types of chemical bonding
- Apply understanding of bonding to create formulae and Lewis structures
- Atoms and molecules:
Sample questions to support inquiry with students:
— How does the quantum mechanical model extend our understanding of the atom?
— Why is fluorine the most electronegative element?